Exploring Digital Identity
Christine and Darrell would like to thank everyone who participated in the Exploring Digital Identity webinar on April 27th, 2022. This was an excellent opportunity to learn more about how Self-sovereign identity (digital id) will affect our lives. Here is a breakdown of what happened and some key takeaways for attendees and those who couldn’t make it.
To begin, Christine discussed a travel scenario in which it would be easy to transition from a physical to a digital wallet with a digital ID. She gave a detailed trip overview, from booking and boarding to networking. In short, she explained how a digital ID system that is widely adopted could make the travel process more secure, saving time and hassle. Darrell concluded by expressing his hope to see a wallet agent that can assemble and organize records/receipts based on user activity.
For our second part of the webinar [8:45], we wanted to address some misconceptions about digital IDs. There has been a lot of misinformation circulating, and we wanted to clarify a few points that we thought were important. We discussed centralization vs. decentralization, SSI exposing your demons, surveillance, and compelled behaviour.
- Worried About Digital ID?
- Governments must fight misinformation on digital ID, say provincial experts
- A Day in the Life of Your Data
- Visualization showing how PayPal shares your data. If PayPal, a highly regulated and respected payment provider, looks like this, what do the less-regulated/unregulated folks look like?
Darrell ended his talk by highlighting a few key trends that are shifting with Proof of Human: the need for better KYC measures on Decentralized Exchanges (DEXes), and the Hyperledger Aries and AnonCreds projects.
Some great questions were sent in; we value and appreciate your engagement! Our Question Period started at about 32:00. Here is a rundown of what we covered:
- How do I use AnonCreds but support WC3?
- What is the trend with Trust Registries?
- How far are we from full sovereign data ownership?
- Thoughts on the government’s place in the digital wallet market
- eIDAS 2.0: How Europe can define the digital identity blueprint for the world
- The Wallet Report – 2021 Update
- We will update with the ToIP blog mentioned once it’s posted.
Thanks again to everyone who participated. We hope that we were able to help you understand the benefits of adopting a Self-sovereign identity to take control of your digital world.